Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Death of a party

I am, in a word, crushed.

For 3+ years there has been a veritable party in my mouth every time I’ve dined at -- nay, even thought about dining at -- Joensy’s Restaurant in Solon, IA. I can still hear the waitress’ voice asking: “Would you like some ‘frickles’ (fried pickles) with your tenderloin, sir?” Combine these with a lean and mean Bison Burger and several big screen TVs -- which on occasion have been known to show Buffalo Bills games featuring Jim Kelly’s no-huddle offense -- and you my friend have the recipe for, to borrow a line from Belinda Carlisle, Heaven in a place on Earth.


Brumblestiltzkin eating a tenderloin
at Joensy's (from his actual gmail photo): "I just thought they were black beans," he reflected this morning.


But then I read this, and my innocence was shattered:

When (Brian Joens) asked what the complaint was, I pointed to the live roach on the counter top (across from the dish machine) next to me and said there was a complaint about roaches. His wife, Lisa, came around the corner behind me, saw the roach after I pointed it out and smashed it with her hand and brushed it off to the floor," the record of communications stated.
That would be 1 line from today's Press-Citizen expose of a recent Johnson County Department of Public Health inspection of my beloved eatery.

At any rate, I will be partaking in today's $2.25 slice of roach pizza special at the Fountain. What do you say to noon lunch at EMRB?

No comments: